Old School EDH
Deck Construction Rules
- Cards per deck: 100 including your commander (any legendary creature). No sideboards are used. Except for basic lands, your deck cannot contain more than one copy of the same card.
- Every card in your deck must only use mana symbols that appear on your commander. Colorless cards are allowed as well.
- Allowed sets: Alpha to Fallen Empires.
- Reprint rules: Every reprint that is Old Frame, uses the original art and is non-foil is allowed.
Contemporary rules and errata are followed, with a few exceptions:
- Chaos Orb: 1, Tap: Choose a nontoken permanent on the battlefield. If Chaos Orb is on the battlefield, flip Chaos Orb onto the battlefield from a height of at least one foot. If Chaos Orb turns over completely at least 360 degrees during the flip, and lands resting on the chosen permanent, destroy that permanent. Then destroy Chaos Orb.
(Note: because of how Chaos Orb is worded, with it being destroyed after a flip, it can still be Disenchanted or Shattered in response to the activation, which will nullify the ability to flip, since it is no longer on the battlefield. This is consistent with the wording of Chaos Orb not being sacrificed upon activation, as it probably would with modern templating. Also note that Chaos Orb chooses, but does not target.)
- Falling Star: Choose any number of non-overlapping creatures on the battlefield. Flip Falling Star from at least a height of one foot. If Falling Star turns over completely at least 360 degrees during the flip, it deals 3 damage to each chosen creature it lands resting on. Any creatures damaged by Falling Star that are not destroyed become tapped.
(Note: Falling Star chooses upon resolution, but does not target.)
- Abu Ja’far, Ali Baba, Ali from Cairo, Aladdin, King Suleiman, Niall Silvain, Sindbad, and Uncle Istvan are considered legendary creatures.
Banned and Restricted Cards
- Banned: Ancestral Recall, Balance, Black Lotus, Bronze Tablet, Contract from Below, Darkpact, Demonic Attorney, Divine Intervention, Jeweled Bird, Karakas, Library of Alexandria, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Rebirth, Shahrazad, Tempest Efreet, Time Walk.
- Restricted: All cards are restricted except for basic lands.
You can find more information about this format on their website.
Check our Events Calendar to find out when is the next Old School EDH tournament taking place.